Where This Teacher Gives to Teachers

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Dr. Seuss Math

We Love Dr. Seuss!

On Friday, my students had a special treat. Members for our local Rotary Club stopped by dressed like the Cat in the Hat. They brought their favorite Dr. Seuss books and read they to our students. My visitor read The Foot Book and I Am Not Going To Get Up Today. My students loved hearing the stories. It was my first time hearing I Am Not Going To Get Up Today (I know, it's a shame) and I really enjoyed it. The best part about the visit though was that each student was given their own Dr. Seuss book to keep! My kids picked out the one they wanted and got busy reading. I decided to share my favorite Dr. Seuss book with my students as well. Any guesses what it is...?

The Butter Battle Book

I just adore this book and it's message of peace. If you haven't read it, you should.

To continue our celebration of Dr. Seuss, I created a word problem book for my students to solve. All of the problems involved some of their favorite Dr. Seuss characters. My students had a blast solving these problems. Some students used math tools, some drew pictures, others just wrote equations. It was a fun and differentiated way to practice solving word problems (including those tricky missing part problems). Try it out with your kids on Monday to celebrate Dr. Seuss' Birthday!

Let me know how you and your students like it. What is your favorite way to celebrate Dr. Seuss?

3 comments:

  1. I love this word problem book, but I can't seem to find it using the link. Is it still available?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also been trying to find it but nothing comes up on TpT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a way I could get a copy of the word problem?

    ReplyDelete